This project might be of interest to some SOTA operators.
I wanted to see if I could make a field companion Raspberry Pi for Data modes - I would never lug my laptop into the bush.
- raspberry pi 3 with inbuilt wifi chip
- USB GPS dongle
- USB sound card
- ZLP USB radio interface
- WSJT-X on RC1.9 for FT8 etc
- Winlink using PAT - telnet only at this stage
- APRS via Xastir and Direwolf
- Logging using CQRLog - issues with database - working on that
- GPS updates onboard time - needed for Data modes and logging as well as GPS for APRS
How do you use it?
Well when the Pi is near a wifi network it knows it connects when it is not - say on your favourite summit - it creates a hotspot allowing headless control by any VNC device - tablet, phone etc.
Update: June 2018: http://wadeabout.com/blog/update-from-my-initial-testing-of-using-a-raspberry-pi-3-as-a-portable-option-for-amateur-radio-digital-modes